Post subject: chinchillas for adoption at the toronto humane society
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:05 pm 

romeo and juliet are waiting for a home at the toronto humane society:
www.torontohumanesociety.com

please contact Jiha Humayun if you are interested in adopting:
jhumayun@torontohumanesociety.com

ROMEO - ID#A112466
JULIET - ID#A112467

Hello. My name is Romeo and this is my girlfriend Juliet. We are a bonded pair, and cannot be separated. The shelter thinks we are about 6 years old. I have been neutered, so we won't be expecting little ones. We were surrendered by our owner who was moving and could not take care of us. We are very nice chinchillas, but need more socialization. The person who wishes to adopt us must do proper research about chinchilla care and needs. We are known to love our dust baths and treats. We have been at the shelter for a few weeks now and that seems awfully long for us. We are sure that soon someone will come to adopt us. We cannot wait to go to a new home!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

oo if you have any contact with that humane society at all, let them know they need to get a pellet brand with no treats in it. just pellets. the treats lead to malnutrition, which can affect teeth and lead to malloclusion, or blood problems, bloat/diarreah/const., or hunchback, which the beige looks like he already has signs of.

timothy hay, straight plain chinchilla pellets with no treats, and at most one treat a day (ie. one or two of those orange flake things in the food would be considered "1 treat"). :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:30 pm 

hi natalie...

romeo and juliet came into the shelter with another male and female, whom i am currently fostering. they neutered the male, but they suspect the female is pregnant, so they wanted her to be out of the shelter when she gives birth. i've had them for about a month now. no babies yet!

anyway, they gave me a huge bag of 'mazuri' chinchilla pellets (no treats in there) and a whack of timothy hay. i'm going to assume they feed the same thing to the chins at the shelter. might be romeo and juliet were suffering malnutrition before they came to the shelter, though it's hard to say. the pair i have are much younger ...they're healthy and spunky. not very friendly at all, but we're working on that.

thanks for your concern!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:31 am 

romeo and juliet have been adopted. yay!

but there is another pair available for adoption at the toronto humane society.

www.torontohumanesociety.com

CHIP - ID#A116074
GINGY - ID#A116075

We are CHIP and GINGY. We are male, gray Chinchillas.
The shelter thinks we are about 2 years old.

We have been at the shelter since Aug 25, 2007.

there is no fee for adoption, but donations are accepted. tax receipts are issued for donations over $20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:45 am 
Site Admin

its been a while but last time i was there, whatever they were feeding had lots of treats and even peanuts in it and there was no hay of any kind visible to me. so perhaps they have changes their feed, but that was the last i saw